CUNY EDGE is the latest initiative to support public assistance recipients enrolled in college during a twenty-year partnership between the City University of New York (CUNY) and the New York City Human Resources Administration (HRA). Launched in 2016, CUNY EDGE provides public assistance recipients enrolled at CUNY with a range of services, benefits, and supports so they achieve academic excellence, graduate on time, and find employment. Key components of the program include academic, personal, and professional advisement, personal development seminars, paid work experience, and public benefits case management assistance. Serving over 4,000 students across 18 campuses, CUNY EDGE is led by a Central Office team supporting over 65 staff at the campuses who provide direct services to students. For more information about CUNY EDGE, visit cuny.edu/cunyedge.
The City University of New York Office of Academic Affairs is seeking a motivated self-starter with significant in-person and virtual training experience to serve as a full-time Staff Development Associate. Under the supervision of a CUNY EDGE Deputy Director, the Associate will facilitate professional learning aligned to adult learning principles for CUNY EDGE. The Associate will develop and deliver dynamic workshops and trainings virtually and create online learning content and resources. Learning content will generally include higher education and related service delivery, professional growth, technology, and program policies and expectations. The Associate will also oversee CUNY EDGE’s communications activities, including staff newsletters, participant and program success stories, and web site content.
This is a newly re-designed position for the unit, although the staff development and training work has been a cornerstone of the Central Office’s work with the campuses.
- Identify staff training and development needs.
- Facilitate in-person and virtual trainings; create and share manuals, video tutorials, workshops, and calls.
- Research, vet, and provide logistical coordination of professional development opportunities across college-staff functional areas including communications, preparation, and evaluations.
- Maintain and/or enhance professional learning resources including the internal resource website.
- Develop a training calendar in collaboration with Central Office colleagues.
- Support CUNY EDGE Communities of Practice and other peer-based learning opportunities.
- Create tools and systems to evaluate effectiveness of professional learning.
- Work with campuses to ensure effective onboarding training for new employees.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Solicit content from Central Office staff for bi-weekly newsletter; create newsletter draft; distribute newsletter to Central Office and campus staff.
- Determine outlets for program and student success stories; develop process for soliciting, documenting and publicizing stories; collaborate with campus staff to identify and document stories; draft and edit content.
- Review and maintain Central Office web site.
- Draft proposal for social media policy to sponsoring agency; develop protocols for college use of social media; coordinate with broader CUNY social media campaigns.
This position is located in a professional office environment and is currently hybrid, working 70% in person (7 days) in office and 30% remote (3 days) during every two-week payroll cycle. Laptop may be provided if needed to support working remotely.
While performing these duties, the employee is required to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 20 pounds), bending, reaching, sitting for prolonged periods of time. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities or other needs per RFCUNY policies.
- Bachelor's degree required.
- Minimum 3 years of experience developing and/or facilitating in-person trainings for adult learners and/or working professionals.
- Experience providing virtual/online professional development is a plus.
- Experience developing and creating communication content for constituent engagement.
- Experience working in higher education and/or directly with college staff a plus.
- Experience with or knowledge of low-income populations and social welfare policy a plus.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to engage adult learners with enthusiasm and energy.
- Proficiency with office technology; familiar with collaborative software and virtual learning platforms.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills with diverse constituents; able to synthesize large amounts of information into user-friendly documents with quick timeframes.
- Strong computer skills including Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint, and Word), Mailchimp, WordPress
- Strong project management skills and attention to detail.
- Ability to work collaboratively within and across teams.
- Strong problem-solving and analytical skills; meticulous with a high level of attention to detail.
- A self-learner, resourceful and comfortable learning by doing.
- A natural tendency to be curious, positive and creative.
Please submit a cover letter and resume, outlining your interest in the position and relevant skills and experiences.
RFCUNY BenefitsRFCUNY Employee Benefits and Accruals
About the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
$55,000.00 - $60,000.00
Sep 05, 2023 (Or Until Filled)