Mandatory Vaccine Mandate: As of May 27, 2022, all candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law and criteria. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as two weeks after a final dose in primary series of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine ( example: two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine such as Moderna or Pfizer, or two weeks after a single dose vaccine such as Johnson and Johnson). Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Newly hired employees will be sent an email with instructions on how to upload their vaccine information on the Research Foundation portal.
Through its partnership with the City of New York, CUNY’s Building Performance Laboratory is hiring qualified energy management professionals to serve as on-site consultants and fill critical staffing capacity needs at the Department of Citywide Administrative Services’ (“DCAS”) Division of Energy Management (“DEM”). For background, DEM serves as the hub for energy management for City government operations. DEM develops the City’s annual Heat, Light, and Power Budget; manages the City’s electricity, natural gas, and steam accounts; helps agency partners identify and pursue energy-saving opportunities; does energy efficiency and clean power generation projects across the City’s portfolio; and implements operations and maintenance best practices. Specifically, DEM is tasked with leading the City’s efforts to reduce emissions from City government operations 40 percent by 2025, 50 percent by 2030, and 80 percent by 2050 from baseline.
For this specific role, on behalf of DEM, CUNY BPL seeks to hire a Program Manager who will work in DEM’s Strategic Planning (“SP”) Unit. DEM’s SP Unit plays a critical role in structuring and advancing DEM’s overall work. SP effectively operates as an in-house consultant for the division and manages a range of initiatives and special projects. In addition, SP runs DEM’s agency outreach efforts, DEM’s training efforts, including the Energy Management Institute (“EMI”) Program, and DEM’s Agency Energy Personnel (“AEP”) Program.
Under this assignment, the person’s responsibilities may include the following:
- Supporting day-to-day operations for DEM’s Agency Energy Personnel Program | Support day-to-day management of the AEP Program and help ensure that the program meets its budgetary and performance objectives. Identify and propose solutions to any programmatic issues and assist with program transformation where needed.
- Contributing to program strategy development within the SP Unit | Gather and analyze data to guide program strategy development, including addressing specific strategic challenges. Help create essential program documentation and develop program procedures and controls to ensure program accountability and effectiveness.
- Helping structure and deliver ongoing training for Agency Energy Personnel | Collaborate with other DEM staff and agency staff to ensure AEPs receive necessary training to be effective in their work and enable peer-to-peer sharing of energy management tools and best practices through multiple challenges.
- Contributing to special projects as needed | Assist with special projects within the SP Unit and overall DEM division as necessary.
The ideal candidate will bring the following skills and experience to this position:
- A master’s degree in the environmental or social sciences.
- At least four years of relevant full-time professional experience, ideally working in the energy and sustainability field or in consulting more broadly.
- Experience in program management.
- Demonstrated interest in sustainability and energy efficiency.
- Knowledge of City government operations and NYC’s energy and emissions reduction efforts, including relevant policy, legislation, and programs.
- Exceptional oral and written interpersonal communication skills.
- High capability to operate as a strategic thinker and problem-solver who can identify multiple paths to overcoming challenges.
- High level of initiative: is entrepreneurial and not satisfied with “business as usual.”
- High level of productivity: able to meet and even exceed deadlines and handle multiple responsibilities simultaneously; supremely organized, detail-oriented, and flexible.
- Capability to manage confidential information with discretion.
- NYC residency may be required for continued employment.
- Immigration sponsorship is not available under this program.
- Must be vaccinated.
- Must be prepared to be on-site.
DCAS, Division of Energy Management
$80,000.00 - $90,000.00
Oct 19, 2022 (Or Until Filled)