The Office of the Provost at Lehman College is seeking a visionary leader with a deep commitment to interdisciplinary research to serve as the Senior Director of Research Administration.
The Office of Research and Sponsored Programs promotes excellence in research at Lehman College by providing a full range of research support while assuring the safety of researchers, ethical conduct of research, compliance with state and federal regulations, technology transfer and external partnerships, supporting core facilities and implementing university policies for research and sponsored programs.
This position will report directly to the college Provost and oversee two key units within the department: Sponsored Research and Programs and Research Compliance; while working closely with Vice Presidents, Deans, schools, institutes, centers, research support facilities and other research within Lehman College and across the CUNY system. This leadership role will expand the College’s work in promoting research across the campus where faculty and staff create new knowledge, solve complex urban problems, and create economic opportunities for Bronx, New York City, New York State, United States, and the world.
- Oversight of the units of Sponsored Research and Programs and Research Compliance
- Supervision of all research administration functions
- Support and advance research that is inclusive of all fields and disciplines, communities, and social identities
- Work across the institution to develop and implement a college-wide strategic plan for research
- Serves as the spokesperson for Lehman College research activities on a local, regional, and national level
- Increase opportunities for collaboration by working across institutional lines to break down silos and leverage the skills and expertise of all stakeholders to build Lehman’s research capacity and position for greater funding opportunities.
- Reviewing and modifying procedures to enhance efficiencies and assure stellar customer service
- Identifying funding initiatives that align with priority areas and faculty interests
- Teach faculty and department chairs how to identify funding opportunities and effectively communicate those opportunities to the appropriate stakeholders and collaborators
- Developing research/scholarship mentoring activities including but not limited to conducting research development-related workshops, and working with chairs and Deans on professional development in research for tenure/tenure track faculty
- Modeling ethical research behavior and practices
- Advancing core research areas and identifying potential funding mechanisms to support those areas
- Overseeing and providing direction for all aspects of research compliance
- Ensuring that compliance policies, processes, and procedures are continually followed as well as assessed for effectiveness and quality assurance
- Organize trainings for all stakeholders related to all areas of research administration
- Work closely with college and university stakeholders to continually grow and enhance the research infrastructure of the institution.
- Represent the Provost and College on various college and university-wide committees and working groups
- Serve as special advisor to the provost on all matters related to research administration and other areas of expertise as required
- Support the Provost, Provost’s Office, and College with other duties and initiatives as required.
- Demonstrated ability, using critical thinking skills, to effectively lead, manage, supervise, and strategically plan administrative and fiscal operations.
- Advanced management/leadership experience in an academic environment. Demonstrated leadership skills to direct and motivate staff.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively administer and manage complex department operations and programs based on analysis, judgment and knowledge of applicable government, institutional and other policies, and regulations in an academic environment.
- Management experience in a multi-programmatic and multidisciplinary work environment
- Must possess excellent interpersonal and diplomacy skills, and the ability to build collaborative relationships at all levels with proven ability to exhibit tact and diplomacy in sensitive situations.
- Must have innovative problem solving and troubleshooting skills with ability to make sound recommendations.
- Experience in navigating in a large, complex organization with an understanding of the big picture; how the parts fit together and how to get the information necessary to resolve problems and trouble shoot.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills necessary to communicate complex material. Strong organizational skills and the ability to independently establish and set conflicting priorities.
- Demonstrated experience with financial management including budget and report preparation, analysis and forecasting across multiple funding sources from affiliation agreements, federal, state general and contract funds, and grants. Experience in conducting long and short-range financial planning.
- Experience in contract and grant administration management. Knowledge of cost accounting standards for Contracts and Grants. Contracts and Grants experience with pre-award, submission and post award processes. Knowledge of federal, state and privately sponsored contracts and grants.
- Expert knowledge of all areas of Research Integrity and Compliance (i.e., IRB, IACUC, Export Control, Conflicts of Interest, Biosafety, etc.)
- Bachelor's degree and 8+ years of professional experience in sponsored research administration, including 5+ years of leadership experience
- Broad experience in research administration, strong interpersonal and communication skills, and the ability to work with diverse populations.
- Professional Certification (i.e., CRA, CPRA, CFRA, CIP)
- Master’s Degree
RFCUNY BenefitsRFCUNY Employee Benefits and Accruals
About the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
Office of the Provost
$150,000.00 - $150,000.00
Aug 08, 2023 (Or Until Filled)