The Pre College Academic Programming Department at LaGuardia Community College is seeking a Career and College Pathways Advisor. PCAP’s mission is to increase adult students’ success in pre-college, post-secondary training, and college degree programs.
Since 2006, PCAP has implemented the Bridge to College and Careers Program: an innovative outcomes-driven program that serves as a model for contextualized adult education programs around the country. The Bridge Program provides sector-focused, contextualized high school equivalency preparation for adults returning to school. Designed as a springboard to college or professional training, the Bridge Program provides academic preparation with a focus in the health, business or science sectors to develop students’ reading, writing and math skills in preparation for the high school equivalency examination and post-secondary education.
The Career and College Pathways Specialist is a lead member of the Pre-College Academic Programming team who works in and outside the classroom to provide college readiness services, comprehensive social supports and facilitate students’ successful transition to and retention in postsecondary degree and training programs.
The position requires evening hours 2-3 nights per week
Individualized Case Management
- Provide individualized case management to meet program goals and support student success for pre-college and alumni students
- Meet with each student on caseload individually at least twice per term
- Provide wrap around services, advocate, and intervene with appropriate referrals for current students and alumni
- Actively ensure that new and returning college students register, apply for, financial aid routinely, register for subsequent semesters, and meet at least twice per term to monitor college success
- Develop engagement strategies to support student success and meet program retention and transition benchmarks
- Participate in instructor led career and college exploration activities in the Bridge classroom
- Ensure each student has a career plan and has completed an interest inventory
- Track student progress towards career and college learning objectives
- Attend each Bridge program class at least once per week to monitor student success, build relationships, and participate in academic activities
Program Activities and Administration
- Work with program coordinator and instructional staff to monitor and report on postsecondary transitions progress and outcomes
- Compile complete and detailed data and documentation for individual students’ postsecondary transitions
- Maintain running log for all students on caseload
- Maintain and build relationships with degree and certificate programs both on and off campus
- Assist with intake and admissions processes
- Provide administrative support to PCAP programs
- Represent PCAP department at division and campus meetings
- Other duties as assigned
- The career and college pathways specialist is a creative individual who has significant professional experience providing advisement and college transition services to students in an urban setting.
- The ideal candidate has case management expertise and is able to present best practices they have implemented in other settings.
- A combination of advisement expertise and technical proficiency in tracking cases using a database is required.
- The candidate must be able to co-lead the integrated, team-based delivery and design of advisement strategies, college and career exploration materials, program tools and administrative components of projects administered by the Pre-College Academic Programming Department.
- The ideal candidate is detail-oriented, able to multitask and manage projects independently, and manage and participate effectively in team-based projects.
- The candidate must be able to negotiate effectively among various college departments and be committed to ongoing and continuous refinement and improvement of practice as a member of the department.
- MA, MEd, or MSW degree preferred. At least two years professional experience providing counseling and post-secondary transition advisement services to youth in an education setting required.
- Bilingual (Spanish and English) preferred.
- Excellent writing, organizational, communication, analytic and digital skills required.
Pre College Academic Programming
$47,000.00 - $49,000.00
Feb 07, 2017 (Or Until Filled)