Pre-College Academic Programs, Div of Ad
$48,000.00 - $50,000.00
Dec 07, 2016 (Or Until Filled)
The Pre-College Academic Programming Department (www.laguardia.edu/pcap) is seeking a full-time Program Manager to successfully implement all aspects of the Bridge to College and Careers Program at LaGuardia Community College. An academically rigorous preparatory program, the Bridge Program serves between 250-300 low-income adult and out-of-school youth each year. Students study to earn a high school equivalency diploma and create a plan to successfully transition to postsecondary training and college degree programs. Coursework covers topics in healthcare, science or business to develop academic reading, writing and math skills in preparation for college and employment in one of these three areas. In 2010-2012, MDRC completed a random assignment evaluation of the Bridge Program, which found that students in Bridge classes are more likely to complete the course, earn the high school equivalency diploma and enroll in postsecondary training and degree programs. Visit http://www.mdrc.org/project/ged-bridge-health-and-business-program#featured_content to read more about the promising findings. The Bridge Program also acts as a classroom laboratory for the Career and College Pathways Professional Development Institute that provides a model for successful curriculum and pedagogy and disseminates best practices in the field of adult education.
Reporting to the Director of Pre-College Academic Programming, the Manager will oversee the implementation and day-to-day operations of the highly successful, evidence-based Bridge to College and Careers Program to ensure that the program is operating as intended and that program goals are being met. Key responsibilities include the following:
- Manage all aspects of program planning, outreach and recruitment, intake, admissions, class placement and college transitions
- Attend each Bridge program class at least once per week to monitor student success and participate in academic and transitions advisement activities
- Monitor daily attendance and implement ongoing, effective retention and student success strategies
- Manage weekly case management meetings and check-ins with the Bridge staff to monitor progress of students and program
- Oversee the development and revision of existing and new curricula and activities for Bridge program courses in collaboration with instructors
- Assist department leadership in selecting, training and supervising program staff, including instructors, tutors, and peer mentors
- Oversee collection and analysis of program data including enrollment, program completion, educational achievement, case management and post-secondary transition information to ensure program goals are met
- Represent and assist the Director at public events including: presenting at professional conferences, interfacing with public and private organizations, developing reports and brochures for distribution, and attending campus committee meetings and events as assigned
- Prepare internal narrative and statistical program reports
- Review and implement program policies and procedures in conjunction with appropriate administrative staff
- Maintain and negotiate professional relationships with campus personnel to enhance the quality and timeliness of program services
- Coordinate curriculum and pedagogy of the Bridge program lab classroom with activities in the Career and College Pathways Institute
- Other related duties as assigned
We are seeking a creative education professional who has a minimum of 3 years of experience working in education and training, including at least 2 years of supervisory/managerial experience and at least 1 year of instructional experience. Master’s degree in Education, Social Work, or Related Fields strongly preferred.
The ability to work independently and collaboratively in a demanding and complex work environment, to carry out complex assignments in a timely manner, and to adapt to changing situations and priorities.
Ability and skill to motivate and lead non-traditional learners to persist and thrive in rigorous academic environment.
Experience working with a diverse adult or out-of-school youth student population, preferably in a higher education setting.
Strong analytic, administrative and supervisory skills.
Experience in data analysis and in writing statistical and narrative reports.
The ability to analyze data for continuous program improvement.
Strong writing, organizational, and communication skills required, as well as proficiency with computer programs (including databases, Excel, Word)
The ability to work independently under tight deadlines essential.
Some evening and weekend work required.
Applicants must submit a resume, cover letter, and a sample of their work product from a professional setting that demonstrates the ability to manage a continuous improvement program model