John Jay College Prisoner Reentry Instit
Depends on Qualifications
Mar 23, 2019 (Or Until Filled)
The Prisoner Reentry Institute seeks a seasoned part-time Human Resources Director for our growing center within the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. PRI staff are hired through the Research Foundation of CUNY and RF policies are the authority under which we operate. RF handles payroll, time and attendance, and benefits administration. In that context, PRI needs an experienced HR professional to manage staff recruitment, orientation and training; lead the development of staff capacity to manage personnel effectively; and handle personnel issues, as needed.
We seek someone who can work approximately 19 hours a week.
The Prisoner Reentry Institute is a center of research and action at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY. PRI is committed to providing opportunities for people to live successfully in the community after involvement with the justice system. Capitalizing on its position within a large public university and recognizing the transformational power of education, PRI focuses much of its work on increasing access to higher education and career pathways for people with conviction histories. PRI's comprehensive and strategic approach includes direct service, research, technical assistance, and policy advocacy. Our staff of about 40 FTEs works in correctional facilities and the field, as well as in our midtown offices. PRI’s direct service efforts include Fellowship Initiatives for John Jay students and a robust array of programs that create pathways to college and employment for people with conviction histories. That continuum of educational opportunities includes college readiness classes and testing inside jail and prisons, a college-in-prison program, comprehensive community-based academic reentry services, training in technology and navigator skills, and a growing portfolio of work readiness services.
Under the direction of the PRI Director , and in close collaboration with the Deputy Director for Finance and Administration and the Deputy Director for Programs, the HR Director:
- Manages recruitment including preparation of job postings, screening applications, conducting preliminary interviews and presenting a pool of qualified candidates for consideration by management;
- Conducts reference checks and makes employment offers;
- Coordinates onboarding process to ensure that new staff are properly oriented and trained;
- Compiles handbook of business procedures for employees
- Improves manager and employee performance by identifying and clarifying problems; coaching and counseling managers and employees;
- Create effective career planning and succession planning processes to support retention as well as long-term staffing needs.
- Maintains PRI organization charts and the employee directory
- Coordinates necessary staff training in basic human services issues including, but not limited to: confidentiality, mandated reporting, crisis response, etc.
- Oversees performance assessments of employees;
- Conducts exit interviews;
- Coordinates terminations with RF
- Create an office culture of equity, inclusion, and diversity that effectively attracts, supports, develops, and retains talent
We are seeking candidates who have extensive experience managing Human Resources for non-profit organizations with multiple social service programs. Candidates should have:
- Master’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of experience in management
- Prior employment in Human Resources at the executive level
- Extensive knowledge of nonprofit management and the recruitment process
- History of experience dealing with personnel issues
- Knowledge of trainings/training sources for social services staff in the organization including confidentiality, mandated reporting and crisis response
- Must be able to interact effectively and cooperatively with colleagues and partners at all levels
- Must be accountable for his/her work as well as accountable to his/her supervisor and colleagues
- Ability to be a strategic partner for the Director and PRI Leadership and translate the leadership team's vision into detailed action steps
- Experience working in higher education is preferred but not required
How to apply
Please include a cover letter, resume and desired salary