The HSE Connect initiative creates a seamless pathway to postsecondary education for New York City based, justice system involved adult learners who need their high school equivalency (HSE) diploma through a partnership between the Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) of John Jay College of Criminal Justice and the Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center. This initiative seeks to serve justice system-involved adults leaving the Rikers Island Jail complex, New York State correctional facilities, and those connected to community based organizations, who lack a high school diploma or HSE credential.
The new MEOC HSE Connect Coordinator will support efforts to engage and enroll eligible participants into the MEOC academic programs including Numeracy, Literacy Development, Developmental Study Skills, Into to HSE and HSE. The HSE Connect Coordinator will work with PRI’s HSE Connect Intake Specialist to ensure a smooth transition into MEOC programming, give regular updates on students throughout their HSE attainment journey, and support students in re-engaging with PRI’s College Initiative (CI) program upon HSE attainment, for college application support.
This HSE Connect position is located at the Manhattan Educational Opportunity Center, at 163 West 125th Street, New York, NY. This is a grant funded position with support from the NYC Office for Economic Opportunity. Continued employment in this position is contingent upon ongoing funding. This position supports program coordination of the HSE Connect initiative including, but not limited to the duties listed below.
The HSE Connect coordinator will:
- Accept eligible referrals from PRI
- Complete the MEOC Application process with students through all steps from application through to Registration
- Track student’s program placement and progress with in program (i.e., attendance in class, grades, etc.)
- Report student progress to PRI as needed.
- Refer and monitor student usage of supplemental instruction (i.e. tutoring, online instruction, ATTAIN, etc.)
- Refer students who’ve earned their HSE diploma to PRI and/or MEOC programming for college application assistance, college prep programming and college retention support
- Acculturate students to college through exposure to local and other college campuses, facilitating campus navigation support
- Connect HSE Connect students to CUNY and other campus based resources, including a campus-based mentor where available
- Complete other related duties as assigned
The ideal candidate will:
- Have a minimum of an Associate’s Degree in human Services, Education, Social Work, Criminal Justice or a related field;
- Have at least two years of experience in case management
- Experience engaging diverse stakeholders and service providers to coordinate services
- Strong organizational skills and ability to manage multifaceted, complex administrative processes
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Office suite
- Knowledge of Adult Education programming and HSE attainment
- Demonstrated experience of working with adult learners, particularly those who have been justice system-involved, getting into postsecondary education
A Bachelor's Degree is preferred.
$58,550.00 - $60,000.00
Dec 01, 2020 (Or Until Filled)