The CUNY Institute for State and Local Governance has a mission to improve the financing, delivery, and measurement of critical public services through research, technical assistance, and education. We lead projects aimed at reforming the criminal justice system, measuring urban inequality, expanding the reach of social service providers, and more. Each project has a dedicated team of research and policy experts who collaborate closely with internal and external organizations. Our staff have the opportunity to work with colleagues and supervisors across projects and with different types of expertise. We are seeking new team members with enthusiasm to shape the future of state and local policy.
Our goals for diversity and inclusion
We strive to foster an office environment and an approach to work that welcomes and respects different perspectives, backgrounds, and life experiences. We are working towards our goal of recruiting and retaining staff and board members who are diverse in terms of race, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, religion, veteran status, socioeconomic status, disability, and justice system involvement.
Who we are looking for
We are hiring a Communications Associate to help build out ISLG’s communications across the Institute’s various projects. The Communications Associate will play a critical role in helping the Institute tailor its communications practices and protocols going forward, and will be responsible for running our social media channels, overseeing our blog (to be launched with the refreshed website) managing a range of content releases (including research and policy briefs), and running point on other internal and external communications efforts.
This is an excellent opportunity for an entrepreneurial- and civic-minded professional interested in growing and applying communications skills in a public policy setting, and for a range of audiences that include government officials, community providers, funders, researchers, and the general public. This is also an excellent opportunity to develop an understanding of government policymaking in New York City and nationally, in a number of areas including criminal justice, racial equity, infrastructure and transportation, government operations and finance.
The Communications Associate will report to the Content Team lead and will closely with project directors on a range of tasks, which may include but are not limited to:.
- Developing and posting regular content to ISLG’s Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn accounts
- Monitoring local, state, and national news and social conversation to inform social content and to draft responsive social media messages
- Reviewing, monitoring, collecting, and reporting analytics data for social media accounts
- Editing and updating content for ISLG’s website or sites it manages (including cjii.org and org)
- Assisting in planning, writing, and managing internal and external email communications
- Compiling and synthesizing content
- Drafting blog posts, press releases, and other content for ISLG’s website
- Contributing to the writing of research and policy briefs or reports, including, as needed, copy-editing
- Assisting with various tasks related to publication releases
- Collaborating with other staff on new ideas, approaches, and tools for communicating with ISLG’s audiences
- Other communications tasks as needed to support ISLG’s work
Our office is located in New York City and the position will be housed there over the long-term, however, work will be remote through the immediate term.
We would love to hear from you if:
- You have 4-6 years of demonstrated professional experience in communications, public relations, public affairs, marketing, and/or digital and social media preferred
- You have knowledge and understanding of available social media tools and platforms
- You are familiar with:
- Adobe Photoshop
- Adobe Illustrator
- Adobe InDesign
- Website backends
- Major social platforms
- Social and Web Analytics (such as Insights, Twitter Analytics, Google Analytics)
- Design apps (such as Canva or Photoshop)
- You can get up to speed with and quickly adopt ISLG’s “voice” (conversational tone, informed about the issues but able to talk about them in accessible way to others who may not know much about the topic but are interested)
- You have knowledge of NYC’s social service, criminal justice, and/or related system landscape (not a requirement but a plus)
- You have excellent time management skills and experience working in deadline-driven environments
- You can prioritize and work on a number of tasks simultaneously
- You have an exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail
- You have excellent writing skills
- You are flexible
This is a full-time position in New York City with a salary range of $60,000-$80,000 and excellent benefits, including:
- Comprehensive medical/dental/vision insurance
- Paid vacation and personal days
- Paid sick leave
- CUNY tuition reimbursement program
- Pre-tax benefits for transit and healthcare costs
- Family/parental leave
- Life insurance
- A retirement plan with employer contribution.
Our staff also benefit from:
- A positive work/life balance.
- Opportunities for advancement within the organization.
- Engagement with the broader CUNY network.
- Working with organizational leadership who have years of significant public sector and policymaking expertise.
$60,000.00 - $80,000.00
May 23, 2021 (Or Until Filled)