Children need to spend their most critical years with dedicated, educated, trained, and well-compensated individuals in order to thrive. The New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute leads the work to establish and implement an early childhood workforce system to ensure funding, standards and competencies, career development resources, qualifications and credentials, professional development (training and strengths-based coaching), and program quality assurance and improvement for individuals who work with young children throughout New York. Housed at the City University of New York, the Institute is a fast-paced, dynamic public/private partnership that is committed to the early childhood workforce across New York State.
The Institute is looking for a web-based coder/scripter to assist with a variety of programing projects. This includes our website, WordPress blog, and program-tracking databases. The Web and Database Development Specialist will have the opportunity to gain real-world coding experience, working with an experienced web and database administrator, as well as program managers to develop functionality is response to program needs at the Institute.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Public Facing Website
- Make updates, check for errors and explore libraries using a text-editor and file system.
Program Tracking Databases and Software
- Cleanup, error checking, maintenance and enhancements on an in-house built web-based data tracking system built on the same tech stack (LAMP) as the website (the two are completely integrated).
- Research to improve the functionality of the Institute blog, which is integrated into the website and runs on WordPress.
- Testing of plug-ins to improve functionality and presenting ideas and recommendations to the team
- Mail Chimp, Discourse, and Zendesk (Communications ticketing system)
- Research apps, add-ons, features, and integrations that improve our workflow and usage of each system
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science, information science, or management information systems and at least two years of web management experience required
- Work experience in publication design preferred (Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and InDesign)
- Familiarity with PHP and MySQL
- Familiarity and experience with WordPress and content management systems
- Curiosity, interest and independent work in web development; portfolio will be required
- Interest in working on a team that includes program staff (end users)
- Demonstrated positive, creative and problem-solving approach to completing tasks; ability to apply creative and technical knowledge to Web development
Experience, specific interest or perspectives in any of the following are preferred:
- Social media integration
- Data management, analysis and presentation libraries
- This position in currently hybrid, working 70% in the office. Laptop may be provided if needed to support working remotely. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smart phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other presentation equipment.
- While performing these duties, the employee is required to occasionally perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 20 pounds), bending, reaching, sitting for prolonged periods of time. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities or other needs per RFCUNY policies.
How to Apply
Provide a resume and cover letter specifying your qualifications, experience, and interest relevant to this position. Please include link(s) to portfolio and/or web development projects demonstrating your skills.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people of any race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, or protected veteran status to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. CUNY is an EEO/AA Employer.
RFCUNY BenefitsRFCUNY Employee Benefits and Accruals
About the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
May 09, 2023 (Or Until Filled)