Children need to spend their most critical years with dedicated, educated, trained, and well-compensated individuals in order to thrive. The New York Early Childhood Professional Development Institute leads the work to establish and implement an early childhood workforce system to ensure funding, standards and competencies, career development resources, qualifications and credentials, professional development (training and strengths-based coaching), and program quality assurance and improvement for individuals who work with young children throughout New York. Housed at the City University of New York, the Institute is a fast-paced, dynamic public/private partnership that is committed to the early childhood workforce across New York State.
The Child Development Assessment Specialist will provide screening and authentic assessment professional learning (PL) and support for the New York City Department of Education’s Division of Early Childhood Education (DECE). This training and support will enable teachers and leaders in all program types to use screening tools and to implement an authentic assessment system. Equipped with a solid understanding of child development and adult learning theory, the ideal candidates will also have strong critical thinking, content development, communication and training skills.
This is a grant-funded position with the possibility to be renewed on an annual basis. Multiple positions available.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Screening and Assessment Professional Learning and Support
- Provide consultation and support in the development of professional learning related to screening and assessment.
- Lead large-scale professional learning facilitation for professional development providers, educational leaders, teachers and family child care network staff.
- Provide targeted screening and assessment support across the five boroughs (in person or virtual)
Data Tracking and Communications
- Submit a log documenting each visit in a timely manner.
- Provide outreach to programs regarding screening and assessment policies.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as required.
- Perform special projects and other duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree in Early Childhood Education or related area.
- 3+ years of experience as an early childhood teacher in a program that utilized an online Authentic Assessment tool.
- 2+ years of experience creating and providing professional learning experiences for teachers.
- Ability to think critically about assessment systems
- Demonstrated commitment to and understanding of equity within early childhood practice and systems
- Demonstrated knowledge of early childhood screening and assessment tools.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze, interpret and communicate about data.
- Proficiency with Excel, Microsoft Teams, PowerPoint, and Zoom
- Exceptional interpersonal skills.
- Ability to develop and sustain successful collaborative partnerships.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Bilingual in Spanish or Mandarin
- Familiarity with Learning Stories
- Experience teaching or leading in site that implements DECE policies and curriculum
- This position operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, laptops, tablets, smart phone, photocopiers, filing cabinets and other presentation materials
- While performing these duties, the employee is required to perform physical activities such as, but not limited to, lifting items (up to 40 pounds), bending, reaching, sitting for prolonged periods of time. Reasonable accommodations will be made for employees with disabilities or other needs per RFCUNY policies.
- Ability to travel to other sites as needed.
How to Apply
Provide a resume and cover letter specifying your qualifications, experience, and interest relevant to this position.
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people of any race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expressions, sexual orientation, national origin, genetic information, disability, age, or protected veteran status to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. CUNY is an EEO/AA Employer.
$72,000.00 - $78,000.00
Feb 28, 2022 (Or Until Filled)