Mandatory Vaccine Mandate: As of May 27, 2022, all candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law and criteria. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as two weeks after a final dose in primary series of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine ( example: two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine such as Moderna or Pfizer, or two weeks after a single dose vaccine such as Johnson and Johnson). Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Newly hired employees will be sent an email with instructions on how to upload their vaccine information on the Research Foundation portal.
The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) at John Jay College of Criminal Justice is seeking a seasoned full-time Deputy Director of Programs to provide its direct services with oversight, strategic planning, program development, and data management. The Deputy Director will collaborate with program managers to coordinate program planning, implementation, monitoring and evaluation with an eye toward continuously developing and improving systems. This is a newly created position that is supervised by the PRI Director and who, with the Director of Finance and Administration, will be part of the PRI executive team. The ideal candidate will be a highly organized thinker, strategic planner, and engaged supervisor. The ability to work collaboratively with all levels of leadership within PRI, the College, and the CUNY system as well as with funders and external partners is essential to the role.
The Prisoner Reentry Institute is a center of research and action at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice/CUNY. PRI is committed to providing opportunities for people to live successfully in the community after involvement with the justice system. Capitalizing on its position within a large public university and recognizing the transformational power of education, PRI focuses much of its work on increasing access to higher education and career pathways for people with conviction histories. PRI's comprehensive and strategic approach includes direct service, research, technical assistance, and policy advocacy. Our staff of about 40 FTEs works in correctional facilities and the field, as well as in our midtown offices. PRI’s direct service efforts include Fellowship Initiatives for John Jay students and a robust array of programs that create pathways to college and employment for people with conviction histories. That continuum of educational opportunities includes college readiness classes and testing inside jail and prisons, a college-in-prison program, comprehensive community-based academic reentry services, training in technology and navigator skills, and a growing portfolio of work readiness services.
Working closely with the Director, the Deputy Director of Programs is responsible for:
Organizational Planning and Program Implementation
- Collaborating with the leadership team to set strategic goals for PRI
- Engaging leadership team and staff at all levels of the organization to set long and short term program goals in accordance with the strategic goals of the organization
- Assisting program managers in ensuring appropriate program implementation as it relates to PRI’s overall mission and long term vision
- Overseeing program development and projects from initiation to completion
- Initiating restructuring of programs and services to better meet our goals
- Working with the Deputy Director of Finance and Administration to establish and monitor budgets, prepare budget modifications, and reports to funders
- Tracking work plan progress including deadlines, milestones and processes
- Providing regular, engaged supervision to program leadership
- Providing regular status reports to Director
- Participating in the development of new opportunities and other duties as determined by the Director
Data Management & Evaluation
- Working with program leadership, ensure that data about PRI’s programmatic portfolio is effectively captured and organized in database systems
- Working with program staff to develop and implement evaluation and assessment of PRI efforts
- Ensuring that program needs are addressed in the Salesforce student tracking system
- Developing organizational dashboards and work with program staff to generate reports as needed and to use data for management
We are seeking candidates who have experience in managing multiple social service and/or educational programs for adults. Applicants should be skilled in strategic planning, program development, staff development, and data management. The ideal candidate can operate in a fast-paced, growing non-profit environment and can balance self-direction and collaboration. Candidates should have:
- Master’s Degree with a minimum of 5 years of progressively responsible experience in program management
- Proven track record as a thoughtful, effective supervisor and manager who is good at developing people under his/her leadership
- Familiarity with higher education, workforce development, social services, reentry services and/or criminal justice reform desirable
- Excellent administrative and organizational skills, including collaboration skills across multiple programs, diverse groups of colleagues, and demonstrated motivational leadership abilities.
- Experience in building and developing new operational processes.
- Experience designing planning and reporting systems
- Experience in policy-making and strategic thinking.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Experience in impact reporting to advance strategic initiatives of an organization
- Demonstrated commitment to enhancing diversity through inclusive design and language with significant skills and experience working with people as individuals, groups and staff, specifically from a position of leadership. Experience in change management.
Candidates should have a proven track record as a thoughtful, effective manager who is good at developing people under his/her leadership, and the ability to translate strategic vision into detailed action steps. .
How to apply
Please include a cover letter, resume and salary requirements
John Jay College Prisoner Reentry Instit
Depends on Qualifications
Jul 15, 2019 (Or Until Filled)