The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) at John Jay College of Criminal Justice is seeking a full-time Intake & Outreach Specialist. This individual will be a part of a team of intake and outreach staff tasked with orientating incoming participants (in the community and in prisons) to the suite of services PRI offers. A The Intake & Outreach Specialist will serve as the first point of contact for individuals interested in accessing PRI-wide direct service programming including the College Initiative program, Prison to College Pipeline and Career Pathways. In addition to facilitating intake appointments, the Intake & Outreach Specialist will provide short-term case management to ensure that participants are getting the support they need to succeed in their education and careers. The Intake & Outreach Specialist will also travel to prisons across New York State to conduct college information sessions, share reentry resources and facilitate small group and individual reentry planning. The ideal candidate will have experience in the field of reentry and will be enthusiastic about providing support to individuals with justice involvement.
About the Prisoner Reentry Institute
The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) is a center of research and action at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. PRI has a diverse portfolio of projects that focus on identifying what it takes for people to live successfully in the community after justice involvement and on increasing the effectiveness of the professionals and systems working with them. Capitalizing on its position within a large public university and recognizing the transformational power of education, PRI focuses much of its work on increasing access to higher education for people with criminal histories. PRI’s comprehensive and strategic approach includes direct service, research, technical assistance, and policy advocacy.
Reporting to the Intake and Supportive Services Coordinator, the Intake & Outreach Specialist will:
- Facilitate intakes with prospective PRI participants screening for college readiness, legal services, and career readiness.
- Input intake data into tracking sheet.
- Maintain intake case notes.
- Case conference with other PRI staff to refer prospective participants to appropriate services, including internal referrals to PRI services. Participate in ongoing case conferences to ensure continuity and quality of services across PRI programs.
- Provide short-term individualized case management to participants to support participant success (eg. referrals to housing, healthcare, legal services etc.).
- Co-facilitate College Initiative Orientations with peer mentors.
- Assist in research for PRI wide resource guide.
- Travel to service organizations to get a sense of service quality and cultural competency
- Attend community events and resource fairs partner to share about PRI services.
- Travel to NYS Correctional Facilities with NYS Outreach Coordinator to facilitate PRI information sessions and conduct small group and individualized reentry planning sessions with individuals enrolled in college programs.
- Design and prepare PRI materials for outreach in NYS correctional facilities.
- Tracking and maintaining data related to outreach and reentry planning at NYS correctional facilities.
- Case conference across PRI programs to best utilize the knowledge and resources of PRI
- Facilitate monthly reentry planning with returning Prison-to-College pipeline students at Otisville Correctional facility
We are seeking candidates who have experience in and/or knowledge of the social service field. In addition, candidates should have:
- An Associate’s degree and two years of social service work experience OR Bachelor’s degree in a Human Services, Social Work, Community Health, Criminal Justice, or related field.
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively in a demanding and complex work environment, to carry out complex assignments in a timely manner and to remain flexible in a highly changeable environment.
- Demonstrated ability to respond calmly and thoughtfully to emergencies and to develop solutions in partnership with students and relevant stakeholders.
- Strong attention to detail, ability to multi-task and participate effectively in team based services
- Proven experience in facilitation and comfort engaging large groups as well as working with individuals in smaller settings.
- Integrity and a deep commitment to educational access for all people.
- Experience providing services in prisons, jails, or reentry settings.
- Experience in educational or college access settings, preferred.
- Basic proficiency in Microsoft Excel, Office, Powerpoint, project management software, internet research
- A valid driver’s license in good standing.
- Candidates with relevant life experience preferred.
Individuals must be able to gain clearance in NYC Department of Corrections (DOC) and NYS Department of Corrections and Community Supervision (DOCCS) facilities. For more information, please review DOCCS policies and DOC policies.
How to apply
Please include a cover letter and resume
RFCUNY BenefitsRFCUNY Employee Benefits and Accruals
About the Research Foundation
The Research Foundation of The City University of New York (RFCUNY) was established as a not-for-profit educational corporation chartered by the State of New York in 1963. RFCUNY supports CUNY faculty and staff in identifying and obtaining external support (pre-award) from government and private sponsors and is responsible for the administration of all such funded programs (post-award).
RFCUNY stands between CUNY’s principal investigators (PIs) and the sponsors who support them and strives to fulfill its essential responsibilities to both groups. Working closely with individual PIs and Grants Officers on the campuses, RFCUNY oversees employment, accounting, audit, reporting, purchasing, and special responsibilities that include management of a planned giving program; liaison with governmental agencies and foundations; negotiation of agreements; facility construction and renovation; protection and commercialization of intellectual property; and compliance with applicable standards in research involving human subjects, animal care, environmental and radiological safety, and conflicts of interest.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement
John Jay College Prisoner Reentry Instit
$43,000.00 - $48,000.00
Mar 05, 2019 (Or Until Filled)