The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) at John Jay College of Criminal Justice is seeking a full-time Communications Associate. The Communications Associate, under the supervision of the Chief of Staff and in partnership with the Director, will be responsible for developing and writing content to promote PRI’s work and is knowledgeable about the issues on which we work. Working closely with senior PRI staff, the Communications Associate will develop and execute digital communication strategies to accomplish this goal. The ideal candidate will have proven experience developing and implementing communication strategies in a professional setting.
About the Prisoner Reentry Institute
The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) is a center of research and action at the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. PRI has a diverse portfolio of projects that focus on identifying what it takes for people to live successfully in the community after justice involvement and on increasing the effectiveness of the professionals and systems working with them. Capitalizing on its position within a large public university and recognizing the transformational power of education, PRI focuses much of its work on increasing access to higher education for people with criminal histories. PRI’s comprehensive and strategic approach includes direct service, research, technical assistance, and policy advocacy.
The Communications Associate reports to the Chief of Staff and is responsible for the following:
- In partnership with the Director and Chief of Staff, expand and implement a PRI's communications strategy.
- Identify creative ways to share PRI’s work within and outside of the field of reentry.
- Oversee programmatic communications in collaboration with program staff. Design print and electronic communications materials across all program areas, events, and campaigns.
- In partnership with the Senior Grant Writer and Chief of Staff, craft external messaging and launch strategy around important announcements and media initiatives.
- Oversee management of the website —ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly. Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time using Google Analytics.
- Oversee management of social media - ensure that new and noteworthy information (article links, stories and events) are promoted. Track, measure and grow the level of engagement within the platforms over time.
- Coordinate development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, promotional/marketing materials, brochures, annual report, bi-weekly media roundup, and monthly e-newsletters. Maintain quality and consistency across all communications.
- Other duties as assigned
We are seeking candidates who are highly organized, and who balance self-directive and collaborative instincts. Candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, English or relevant field.
- Two -to- three years’ experience in a communications role is preferred.
- Excellent writing and grammar skills.
- Ability to develop relevant copy for multiple platforms (e.g., website vs. social media) and audiences (e.g., partners vs. general public).
- Strategic thinker with impeccable project, time and relationship management skills.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator who excels at creative problem-solving.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships with multiple stakeholders in all levels of leadership.
- Competency with information technology, including Microsoft Office, social media and websites.
- Experience working in WordPress is required.
- Experience working with the Adobe Suite is strongly preferred.
- Commitment to help the incarcerated and formerly incarcerated.
How to apply
Please include a cover letter and resume.
John Jay College Prisoner Reentry Instit
$40,000.00 - $46,000.00
Dec 03, 2018 (Or Until Filled)