Mandatory Vaccine Mandate: As of May 27, 2022, all candidates will be required to provide proof of being fully vaccinated against COVID-19 upon commencing employment. Exemption (medical or religious) requests to this requirement will be considered in accordance with applicable law and criteria. Being fully vaccinated is defined for this purpose as two weeks after a final dose in primary series of an authorized COVID-19 vaccine ( example: two weeks after the second dose of a two-dose vaccine such as Moderna or Pfizer, or two weeks after a single dose vaccine such as Johnson and Johnson). Final candidates must be fully vaccinated as of their first day of employment. Newly hired employees will be sent an email with instructions on how to upload their vaccine information on the Research Foundation portal.
Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM) is seeking to fill one position with either: 1) an Associate Editor who will be responsible for publications from Southeast Asia or 2) an Associate Editor who will be responsible for publications from Japan and Korea.
Répertoire International de Littérature Musicale (RILM) seeks to fill an Associate Editor position for its International Office in New York City. RILM publishes RILM abstracts of music literature (along with a suite of other resources), which is widely recognized as the world’s premiere abstracted bibliography on music and related disciplines. RILM was established in 1966 and operates under the joint sponsorship of the International Musicological Society, the International Association of Music Libraries, Archives, and Documentation Centres, and the International Council for Traditional Music.
RILM abstracts covers research on all types of music and related studies published in all document types (books, articles, reviews, collections, etc.) anywhere in the world and in any language. The database is fully searchable, with in-depth vocabulary-controlled indexing and detailed abstracts. The data are written, input, and edited to a high uniform standard by an international staff of specialists from all subject areas. The database contains over one million bibliographic records and is published online.
(1) The successful candidate responsible for countries of Southeast Asia will be required to establish RILM networks in Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, Malaysia, Singapore, Indonesia, and Philippines, making sure that music scholarship from these countries is fully and accurately represented in RILM abstracts.
(2) The successful candidate responsible for Japan and Korea, will be required to work in a collaboration with RILM’s national committees in these countries, making sure that music scholarship from these countries is fully and accurately represented in RILM abstracts.
The candidate will also work on bibliographic records related to other geographic areas, applying RILM’s editorial style as detailed in RILM’s editing and indexing style manuals, improving the prose, punctuation, and factual content of the material through research, and will engage professionally and culturally with music scholarship of the areas of responsibility.
The position is available either as part time or full time (35 hours). Comprehensive benefits become available for 20 hours per week or more.
Applicants should submit a cover letter, curriculum vitae, statement about his/her own scholarly and research interests, and a list of three references with contact information. The cover letter should address how the candidate has engaged in the past with the scholarly community of Southeast Asia or Japan or Korea. Only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Edit, index, translate, and when needed write abstracts of scholarly literature on music received from diverse sources and of varied quality and intelligibility, bringing them to a high standard of literacy and scholarship.
- Develop RILM’s networks in the countries of his/her responsibility.
- Work on development of indexing vocabularies specific to the countries of his/her responsibility.
- Track the development of scholarship and publishing in the countries of his/her responsibility.
- Advise the marketing/sales teams about academic networks in the countries of his/her responsibility.
- Full-time is a minimum of 35 hours per week. After a lengthy training period, the schedule of when these hours are fulfilled can be flexible. Remote work is possible, but the successful candidate will need to spend some time in the office in New York City.
- PhD/ABD in ethnomusicology or cultural studies with the focus on music is strongly preferred.
- Experience in editing and the ability to organize data into logical concepts, with proven research and writing skills.
- Superior written English skills and excellence in focused, detailed work.
- In addition to English, native or near native fluency in one or more languages spoken in Southeast Asia; or in the Korean or Japanese language.
- Willingness to engage in administrative and technological work.
Répertoire International de Littérature
Apr 08, 2021 (Or Until Filled)