CUNY Institute for State and Local Gover
$45,000.00 - $55,000.00
Jul 11, 2018 (Or Until Filled)
CUNY Institute for State and Local Governance (ISLG): Overview
ISLG is an institute within the City University of New York (CUNY). The Institute’s mission is to work with government and non-government organizations to improve systems to produce better results worthy of public investment and trust. The Executive Director is Michael Jacobson, whose career in public service includes holding senior positions in the NYC Office of Management and Budget, serving as NYC Commissioner of Probation and later Corrections Commissioner, and running the nonprofit Vera Institute of Justice. For more information about ISLG, please visit www.islg.cuny.edu.
Reporting to the Senior Policy Associate, the Policy Analyst will be responsible for supporting a body of work in the following three public finance areas: i) budget and fiscal analysis, ii) cost-benefit analysis, and iii) economic analysis. The analyst’s key responsibilities will include: analyzing budget, fiscal, revenue, and agency-specific strategies to help governments increase productivity and efficiency; identifying revenue and cost effective policies and strategies; and identifying budget relief for critical activities. The analyst will provide technical guidance on budgets and fiscal policy, detailed analysis of operating and capital budgets, and development of systems for tracking and monitoring budget allocations, expenditures, grants and contracts.
The analyst will also develop a skill set for cost-benefit analysis by supporting the senior policy associate on current projects within the Institute, including analysis on quantitative and qualitative data to determine the economic costs and benefits of government programs, policies, interventions, and other activities.
- BA or MA in economics, finance, public policy, business, or statistics.
- Experience (preferably 2 years or more) working in a related field or position.
- Familiarity with cost-benefit analysis.
- Proficiency required in Excel.
- Understanding of public sector trends and state and local governance structure.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills with the ability to create and maintain excellent working relationships with ISLG’s partners, including government, foundations, and community partners.
- Strong time management skills and experience working in deadline-driven environments across multiple priority projects.
- Ability to adapt to changing demands and requirements as projects develop, and the ability to participate in collaborative project development with diverse internal team members and external stakeholders.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- An exceptional commitment to accuracy and attention to detail.
- Strong work ethic, sense of humor, flexibility, creativity, and a professional demeanor.
This is an exceptional opportunity to work hand-in-hand with government on important strategic initiatives, and to contribute to building a portfolio of work in an Institute with a talented and multi-disciplinary team producing a scientifically rigorous and impactful body of work.
How to Apply
To apply, please go to rfcuny.org and click on About RF, then Careers. You will need to submit a cover letter describing your qualifications and interests and attach your curriculum vitae. Questions can be addressed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application review will commence on November 13 and continue until the position is filled.
The CUNY Institute for State and Local Governance and the Research Foundation of the City University of New York are an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity/Americans with Disabilities Act/Protected Veterans Status/ E-Verify Employer