Prisoner Reentry Institute
$40,000.00 - $46,000.00
Dec 19, 2017 (Or Until Filled)
The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) at John Jay College of Criminal Justice is seeking a full-time Communications Associate. The Communications Associate, under the supervision of the Chief of Staff and in partnership with the Director, will be responsible for developing and writing content to promote PRI’s work and is educational about the issues on which we work. Working closely with senior PRI staff, the Communications Associate will develop and execute digital communication strategies to accomplish this goal. The ideal candidate will have proven experience developing and implementing communication strategies in a professional setting.
About the Prisoner Reentry Institute
The Prisoner Reentry Institute (PRI) is one of twelve institutes that collectively comprise the Research Consortium of the John Jay College of Criminal Justice. PRI’s diversified portfolio reflects an overall focus on understanding what it takes for people to live successfully in their communities after contact with the criminal justice system, and on increasing the effectiveness of the professionals and systems that work with them. These goals are pursued through several initiatives. PRI Educational Initiatives provide a college access program in six state prisons and community-based services to assist people in enrolling and succeeding in college post-release. This work is done alongside PRI Fellowship Initiatives, which provide opportunities for students to combine their academic learning with field placements and professional development opportunities. PRI is also the administrator of the NYC Justice Corps, which seeks to build beneficial relationships between communities and young people who are returning to the community after criminal justice involvement. We also undertake policy initiatives, focusing especially on housing options available to people after incarceration. To learn more about our work, please visit www.johnjaypri.org.
The Communications Associate reports to the Chief of Staff and is responsible for the following:
- In partnership with the Director and Chief of Staff, formulate and deliver a communications strategy that supports PRI’s mission.
- Identify creative ways to share PRI’s work within and outside of the field of reentry.
- In partnership with the Senior Grant Writer and Chief of Staff, craft external messaging and launch strategy around important announcements and media initiatives.
- Oversee management of the website —ensure that new and consistent information (article links, stories, and events) is posted regularly. Track and measure the level of engagement within the network over time.
- Oversee management of social media - ensure that new and noteworthy information (article links, stories and events) are promoted. Track, measure and grow the level of engagement within the platforms over time.
- Coordinate development, distribution, and maintenance of all print and electronic materials including, but not limited to, promotional/marketing materials, brochures, annual report and monthly e-newsletters.
- Maintain quality and consistency across all communications.
- Other duties as assigned
We are seeking candidates who are highly organized, and who balance self-directive and collaborative instincts. Candidates should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications, marketing, English or relevant field.
- Two -to- three years’ experience in a communications role is preferred.
- Excellent writing and grammar skills.
- Ability to develop relevant copy for multiple platforms (e.g., website vs. social media) and audiences (e.g., partners vs. general public).
- Strategic thinker with impeccable project, time and relationship management skills.
- Excellent communicator and collaborator who excels at creative problem-solving.
- Ability to cultivate strong relationships with multiple stakeholders in all levels of leadership.
- Competency with information technology, including Microsoft Office, social media and websites.
- Experience working in WordPress is required.
- Commitment to help the incarcerated and formerly incarcerated.