Associate Vice Chancellor - WiTNY
Depends on Qualifications
Aug 11, 2018 (Or Until Filled)
The Women in Technology and Entrepreneurship in New York (WiTNY) initiative is a programmatic collaboration between industry and higher education institutions with a mission to facilitate, encourage and enable a significant increase in the participation of women in both higher education and entrepreneurship in fields related to technology in the New York market. Launching in 2016, WiTNY is in its third full year of operation and has grown from supporting 275 students in its first year to over 1000 students in 2018.
WiTNY offers a unique combination of early career experiences to undergraduate women in tech at CUNY including a ‘Winternship’ program during the January academic recess for freshmen and sophomore women with an interest in pursuing a career in tech and an enhanced summer internship program for CUNY women in tech in any year. In support of these programs, WiTNY is seeking a Career Development Manager who will play a critical role in designing and delivering a set of curricula that address the needs of the CUNY population with regards to the students’ ability to prepare for technical interviews, manage the interview/acceptance process and successfully completing a variety of internship experiences throughout their undergraduate years. The Career Development Manager will also collaborate with other WiTNY and CUNY staff in seeking and maintaining corporate partnerships for the purposes of supporting the aforementioned curricula and for student placement in internships.
More specifically, we are looking for someone with a deep understanding of the culture of the tech industry and nature of tech jobs and is equally comfortable with the unique needs of the students who attend a public education institution like CUNY. This role will partner closely with the Workforce Development organization that serves CUNY at large and with other WiTNY staff that lead the winter and summer placement programs. We are looking for someone who works easily across organizational boundaries and someone who has a passion for working closely with students.
Curriculum Development and Execution for WiTNY’s Winternship/Internship Preparatory and Follow Up Workshops (60%):
- Design, develop, and deliver the WiTNY Winternship and Summer Internship career development programs for WiTNY students at CUNY
- Develop and deliver both short-term and long-term training strategies to create a sustainable infrastructure for ongoing training and support
- Design and develop customized training tools and processes (in-person and online activities)
- Set the schedule of Winternship and Internship development activities for both the fall and spring semesters with the goal of supporting ~250 students/semester.
- Create structure to support and supervise students during their summer internships
- Regularly assess the results of the development programs
Marketing & Partnership Development (20%)
- Promote career development programs to CUNY students and CUNY partners
- Establish partnerships with companies and outside initiatives who deliver similar programs
- Coordinate/collaborate with Workforce Development organization on similar initiatives
- Establish robust, repeatable processes for student applications, evaluations and acceptances
- Work with Survey Coordinator and Data Analyst to design data collection tools and track outcomes for workshop students
- Compile and analyze data on student participants and prepare regular reports for the larger WiTNY team
- Coordinate and collaborate with WiTNY team on related initiatives
Bachelor’s degree with a minimum of 5-10 years of experience working in either an academic or corporate setting supporting curriculum development and program delivery in the areas of talent development, internship and/or mentorship programs, and/or student services with a focus on the tech industry. Must have experience developing career readiness programs and internship programs for undergraduate students ranging from freshman to seniors. Must be organized and detail-driven with a program management orientation around ‘getting the job done’ and collaborating successfully with both internal as well as external stakeholders/partners. Strong inter-personal skills and relationship building qualities are essential. Ability to communicate with, work effectively with, and maintain a positive rapport with students and professionals alike. Proven ability to work well in a team context. Highest standards of integrity in order to develop trust with current students, staff, and employers.
Experience in developing and delivering career readiness programs addressing the specific needs of groups that are typically underrepresented in tech fields. Specific experience working with both academic and corporate partners. Experience working within the CUNY academic and/or administrative structure is highly desirable.
An EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/IRCA/AMERICANS w/ DISABILITIES ACT Employer